Well, it’s safe to say that I have been on a major cupcake kick lately. My poor family probably think I’m trying to get them fat. I’m bringing them cupcakes every other day almost. Sorry guys, I can’t keep them at my house! I have no self control. I have today off so maybe I’ll whip up another batch.
Anytime I see or eat something with limes I always think of my mom. She loves them. I’ve been wanting to bake something like this for her for a while. I had a lime that I needed to use so there I was figuring out what I was going to make. Of course I decided on cupcakes. This time I cut down my measurements to only make a dozen. Usually, it’s 24. I chose a buttercream frosting with fresh lime juice and zest. They turned out so good! Eating one makes me wish I was in Mexico enjoying the beach and sunshine 🙂
Hope y’all have a great Monday and be sure to enter the giveaway going on. Only 1 more day!! Click here to enter!
If you don’t have cake flour or heavy cream you can substitute regular flour and milk.
Using a cookie scoop, it takes 2 scoopfuls for each cupcake to divide evenly.
Let cupcakes cool completely before frosting. This is the hardest part – waiting.
- 1 1/2 cups cake flour, sifted
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 egg whites
- 1 lime (You'll use a little zest for the cake)
- 1 cup butter
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- Juice of 1 lime and a little zest
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line cupcake pan and set aside.
- In medium bowl, mix together flour and baking powder, set aside.
- Beat together butter and sugar until smooth.
- Add vanilla and mix until fully incorporated.
- Alternatively, add flour mixture and milk. Set aside.
- In new bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form (about 5 minutes).
- Fold whites and zest of 1/2 lime into batter.
- Pour evenly into prepared cupcake pan and bake for 17-19 minutes.
- Let cool completely.
- To start the frosting, beat together butter and powdered sugar until smooth.
- Add juice of 1 lime and remaining lime zest.
- Beat on high until desired consistency. If you need, add heavy cream, 1 tsp. at a time.
- Frost cupcakes and enjoy!